1. Remove core from cabbage. Place whole head a kettle filled with
boiling salted water. Cover; cook for 3 minutes or until softened enough to pull
off individual leaves.
Repeat to remove all large leaves (about 30). Cut thick center stem from each leaf. Chop remaining cabbage.
2. Sauté onion in oil. Add meat, rice, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Place
a heaping teaspoonful of meat mixture on each leaf of cabbage. Tuck sides over
while rolling leaf around filling. Secure with wooden toothpicks.
3. Place half of the chopped cabbage on bottom of a large pot (or Dutch oven). Fill with layers of the cabbage rolls. Cover with remaining chopped cabbage.
4. Combine tomato sauce and vinegar (and brown sugar for Mike's batch) with water; mix until smooth. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Serve cabbage rolls with sauce.